What is the course about?
The course is designed to help you recognise patterns of thought, behaviour and movement. We'll explore new possibilities in reducing unnecessary effort in order to live with more ease, enhancing your body's natural functioning in sport, dance, music and everyday life.
What will we cover?
We will explore everyday actions and processes that may lead to a function such as reaching, standing up, sitting down or walking and may also relate to other activities in life, sport and performance.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Recognise your own movement and behaviour patterns and possibilities
- Identify new processes which reduce unnecessary effort
- Practise a series of small movements leading to increased efficiency in larger movements.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No previous knowledge or experience is needed. Everyone is welcome, although you should be able to get down to the floor and up again. If you have a disability please contact the office in advance. You are required to read sentences, follow verbal instructions and extract information from handouts.
If you have suffered from any of the conditions listed below, please check with a medical practitioner whether it is suitable for you to undertake an exercise programme and bring a referral letter from your doctor to your tutor. If you have not checked, or if it is not suitable, please do not participate in an exercise or movement class.
- Do you ever have pains in your chest?
- Have you had any operations or injuries in the last year?
- Do you often feel faint or have spells of dizziness?
- Are you receiving medication for any condition?
- Do you have high blood pressure?
- Is there anything else we should know about your health?
- Do you have a bone or joint problem, such as arthritis, osteoporosis, back or knee problems?
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
The course is experiential and is verbally led. The tutor will guide you through a series of slow, small movements, asking you to pay attention to your sensations. The movements are explored by students at their own pace. Many of the exercises will be done lying on the floor. There may be some partner work.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please wear comfortable, loose clothing. The classes are not strenuous so you need to be sure you will be warm enough.
Charlotte is a qualified teacher of the Feldenkrais Method - Awareness Through Movement classes, and current student of the hands on aspect of the Feldenkrais training. She has been teaching a variety of movement disciplines for over 10 years.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
The Feldenkrais Method may be used to improve performance in activities such as dance, drama, sport, work and life in general.