What is the course about?
Learn the creative processes used to design gardens. You will be exploring the formal elements of garden design and methods of producing a successful garden plan. You will participate in group workshops and independent projects, including drawing plans and elevations, research and mood boards, and dipping your toe into the limitless and luxuriant world of planting!
What will we cover?
- The form and function of design elements
- Garden styles from formal to Arts and Craft to contemporary urban spaces
- Bubble plans of several different garden surveys
- Different methods of conveying your ideas from online mood boards to elevation drawings
- Researching plant choices and landscape materials
- Learn to use scale and aspect for more accurate plans
- Understand plant name formats and how to learn from them
- Learn to make considered choices in focal points and feature trees.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Understand the formal elements of garden design and how to apply them
- Have an awareness of different garden styles and how to adopt them when designing
- Undertake visual research and compile moodboards
- Create the functional plan of a small garden to a brief, making both artistic and practical decisions
- Understand the basic principles behind plant nomenclature
- Draw elevations of your chosen plants and furniture
- Understand how to use scale and aspect for more accurate plans.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a beginners’ course and no previous experience is necessary. This course is for anyone with an interest in garden design.
You should be able to follow simple written and verbal instructions to support demonstrations, handouts and for health and safety information, and will be invited to take part in group discussion. You should be able to use numbers and be able to do simple measurements and calculations.
Please look at the rest of the course outline carefully to decide if you may benefit from support in your
English and Maths skills to help you to take part fully in this class.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught using a range of techniques including workshops, short lectures, demonstrations, practical exercises, tutorials, group and individual assistance and hand-outs. Please note the City Lit uses Apple Mac computers.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please bring a sketchbook to record visual ideas and/or notebook to take notes. All other materials will be provided.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Develop your skills with VF485 Start plants and planting design for your garden.
City Lit offer a range of courses in Patio Design and Planting, Planting Design, Botanical Drawing and an array of other visual arts courses to enhance your creative and professional skills.