What is the course about?
Gentle classical Yoga postures will be combined with breathing and movement to energise you and help to de-
stress the mind and body. Relaxation, meditation and visualisation will be learned and practiced. The
emphasis is on everybody working at their own pace in a relaxed and non-competitive atmosphere. Many exercises can be performed with a chair rather than going down on the floor. Contact the department if you are concerned about suitability.
This is a live online face-to-face course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
The class will start with relaxation and joint movement exercises to prepare the body and the mind for the
classical yoga posture practice The course will be progressive and various options and adaptations will be
provided. You will be encouraged to work at your own level, taking rests whenever you need to. You will use some yoga equipment to help you practise.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Perform basic gentle yoga postures to improve your flexibility, muscle tone, fitness and stamina
- Practise relaxation with guidance
- Follow the teacher's instructions
- Combine breathing and movement exercises to de-stress
- Improve your body awareness
- Describe some of the benefits of Yoga.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No prior knowledge or experience of yoga is needed. The postures are gentle and adapted versions are
provided. Beginners are very welcome. You will need to be able to read and write short sentences, follow
verbal instructions, observe and copy physical movements and use spatial awareness within a group.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- Instructions, explanations, demonstrations, corrections
- Individual practice
- Some pair work.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Yoga equipment including mats will be provided.
Please wear loose, comfortable clothing. Postures are performed barefoot but you may wear non-slip socks if
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
- Students will be encouraged to practise the techniques at home
- Students can move up to Beginners Yoga course
- Advice on further activities or courses to suit the individuals level will be provided.