What is the course about?
This friendly workshop is an opportunity for you to revise and practise conjunctions. Suitable if you have studied German for a minimum of two years.
What will we cover?
- conjunctions introducing subordinate clauses such as “weil, dass, obwohl, ob”
- conjunctions connecting main clauses such as “und, oder, aber, denn, sondern”
- adverbs used to connect sentences and structure text, such as “zuerst, dann, dannach,schließlich“.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- be more confident using a variety of conjunctions to make your speaking and writing more interesting
- recognise, which conjunction change the standard word-order and how.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This course is aimed at students who have studied German for a minimum of two years.
For further details of the specific foreign language skills required for this level, please see the languages self-assessment chart at the start of the languages section of our course guide or on our website.
It is also essential that you have some knowledge of basic grammar terminology such as: a verb, a noun and conjugation. It would be helpful if you had knowledge of more intermediate grammar terminology such as: dative, accusative, subordinate and main clause.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Communicative. Grammar will be explained in Engish.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Pen and Paper.Handouts will be provided by tutor.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
Other German 2/3 grammar workshops on Fridays as well as German 2 or 3 courses depending on your experience.
General information and advice on courses at City Lit is available from the Student Centre and Library on Monday to Friday from 12:00 – 19:00.
See the course guide for term dates and further details