What is the course about?
Develop your ability to hear, play and understand melody, harmonic progression, style and time feel in the jazz idiom. Detailed study of jazz standards will be supported by listening, singing activities and playing solo.
Develop your ability to improvise well. Learn challenging repertoire. Perform and record your musical efforts.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- Exercises will develop transcription skills and explore and practise approaches to improvising
- Improvising with the voice, notating chord progressions, guide tone lines, exploring scale choice and tensions
- Practice routines will be established for ear training skills
- Explore tools and devices like forward motion, backing riffs, guide tones, enclosures
- focus on listening and responding in the ensemble.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Recognise simple & compound intervals, natural and altered tensions over chords
- Develop short-term memory for motif, pattern, etc.
- Sing, write and use modes of major, harmonic minor, melodic minor scales, altered and diminished sounds
- Transcribe single lines and chord progressions quickly and accurately
- have mastered some challenging jazz repertoire
- Invent solo and backing ideas by ear
- show greater expertise in matters of writing/arranging.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
You should have good working knowledge of aural and academic harmony, recognition of intervals and the basic chord types (major, minor 7, dominant and half-diminished) and minor and modal harmony. You need to be accustomed to reading, playing, and improvising in jazz and Latin styles.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
All practical - lots of singing, transcribing musical ideas, and playing exercises and jazz standards together. Weekly practice of improvising solos.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please have manuscript paper, your instrument, and way of recording your playing and relaying backing tracks.