What is the course about?
Learn the fundamentals of therapeutic massage. Gain an insight into how massage can alleviate stress and promote relaxation and healing through touch and the application of oils. An excellent introduction for those of you wishing to develop a new skill as well as for students who wish to continue to one of our accredited courses.
What will we cover?
This course will introduce you to the therapeutic benefits of massage, the value of touch and client handling. Other topics will include:
- History of massage
- Contra-indications, contra-actions and hygiene
- Massage oils
- The benefits of the massage strokes to include effleurage, petrissage, percussion and friction movements.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Guide your receiver into a comfortable position in preparation for the treatment
- Name some of the contra-indications and contra-actions to massage
- List the benefits of massage
- Name some of the massage oils used in massage and how they benefit the skin
- Perform a safe and effective massage for the back, shoulders, arms, face and neck.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is an introductory course for those new to the art of massage, or with limited experience.
If you have suffered from any of the conditions listed, please check with a medical practitioner whether it is suitable for you to undertake a bodywork course and bring a referral letter from your doctor to your tutor. If you have not checked, or if it is not suitable, please do not participate in a bodywork class/course: epilepsy; diabetes; an untreated medical condition; spinal injuries; a recent operation; severe skin disorders; severe mental illness; on medication; cardiovascular disorders (high blood pressure, severe varicose veins, heart problems, thrombosis); bone or joint disorders (rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis); pregnancy (or post natal); endocrine disorders; knee problems (for Shiatsu, Thai massage and introductory massage courses only). Is there anything else we should know about your health before you enrol for a course? If there is, please let the Health & Lifestyle Studies team know.
If accepted onto a course, a student could be given alternative practical tasks and adjustments may be made where reasonable. However, a student could be asked to leave the course if any situation were to arise which could endanger the well being of that student, or any other student.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be guided through the course by way of lectures, small group and pair work. You will be able to work with a variety of fellow participants of varying ages, backgrounds, gender and abilities. The emphasis will be on practical application. Students will be working with each other giving and receiving massages. Massage couches will be provided by the College. There will be no written assignment.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need to bring with you to class the following items:
- Pen and paper
- 2 large bath sheets/ towels
- One hand towel
- Antiseptic or antibacterial wet wipes (for cleaning hands)
- Base oil for massage such as sweet almond oil or grape seed oil. Please choose a base oil that is suitable for your skin type and one that you are happy to have applied to your body. If you are allergic to nuts choose an oil that is not nut-based.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
- ITEC Level 3 Massage Diploma
- ITEC Level 3 Complementary therapies Diploma
- other Health and Lifestyle courses at City Lit.