Optimum nutrition for vegans and vegetarians
Time: 10:00 - 13:00
This course will be delivered online. See the ‘What is the course about?’ section in course details for more information.
This course has now finished
What is the course about?
Ideal for health professionals, vegetarians and vegans, this course explores how to devise a healthy, balanced diet ensuring optimum intake of proteins, vitamins and minerals. Examine a wide variety of dairy alternatives; find out more about soya and discover how much protein is the right amount.
This is a live online course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
- What is a healthy diet?
- Protein: role in the body; recommended daily amounts; food sources and amount per portion, digestion
- Soya products – the good and the bad
- Fats: which fats and oils are healthy and which should be avoided including omega 3, 6 and 9; trans fats; saturated fats and damaged fats
- Dairy products and non-dairy alternatives
- Calcium, Vitamin B12, Vitamin A and Vitamin D – are you getting enough?
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Plan a balanced vegan or vegetarian diet
- Understand the role of protein in the body and how much protein is required for good health
- List vegetarian and vegan protein sources and how much protein is in a portion of those foods
- Discuss the role of fats and oils in the body and understand which are good for health and which should be avoided
- List best oils and fats to cook with
- Understand which vitamins and minerals vegetarians and vegans might be low in, their role in the body and food sources for them.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
No previous skills or experience are necessary.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Teaching will include class discussions, work sheets, pair work and small group work, and tutor presentations.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Please have pens and some paper for note-taking. You will be sent handouts but you may wish to make additional notes.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You may be interested in other nutrition courses taught by Ellie Holly.
Ellie Holly has been practising herbal medicine and nutritional therapy for almost twenty years. She is highly qualified and experienced at treating patients with a wide range of health issues. She has been devising, writing and delivering nutrition courses to adults for over ten years. Ellie is passionate about using her knowledge to educate and enlighten people with energy and enthusiasm so that they are empowered to make positive changes in their diets and lifestyles. To find out more about Ellie, the courses she teaches and her work seeing patients in private practise, please visit her website: www.hollyhealthcare.co.uk
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.