What is the course about?
This course is an introduction to the principles and practice of shiatsu. You will learn the basic techniques to give a very relaxing shiatsu massage on the back, as well as experience the beneficial effects of receiving shiatsu.
What will we cover?
- Correct body posture to give shiatsu effortlessly.
- Correct position of arms, hands and fingers.
- Treating the whole back - practical work in pairs.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Give a relaxing back shiatsu treatment to friends and family
- Know all pressure points on the back
- Know how to give shiatsu effortlessly
- Feel the benefits of shiatsu
- Major contraindications.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Introductory level - no previous knowledge required. You are required to read short sentences, follow verbal instructions and extract information from handouts.
If you suffer from any of the following conditions, please let us know prior to starting the course
- An untreated medical condition
- Spinal injuries
- A recent operation
- On medication
- Cardiovascular disorders (high blood pressure, severe varicose veins, heart problems, thrombosis)
- Knee and/or Hip Problems.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This is a practical course involving hands-on practice. Practical demonstration, explanations, pair work, discussion. There is no set work for outside the class, but practising what you have learned will help you remember what you have learned and develop your skills.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
No. Please bring comfortable loose clothing. You might want to bring a small pillow for extra comfort.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
We have a range of Complementary therapies courses- particularly Massage and other bodywork related courses including vibrational/energy based such as Reiki, crystals and healing. We are also looking to run more advanced courses in Shiatsu throughtout the current year.