Indian Head massage: taster workshop
Time: 14:00 - 17:00
Location: KS - Keeley Street
This course takes place in the classroom, please follow this link to find out what we are doing to keep you safe: Staying COVID-19 secure at City Lit
Course Code: FCL35
Duration: 1 session
What is the course about?
This is a taster to learn how to perform Indian Head Massage on friends and family. Learn how tension is held in the neck and shoulders. This course will show you how to help alleviate tension in these areas.
What will we cover?
- Full Indian Head Massage routine
- Benefits of Indian Head Massage
- Contra-indications and safety (when you can and cannot give Indian Head Massage).
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Perform Indian Head Massage on friends and family
- Recognise how tension is held in the neck and shoulders
- Have an insight into the History and Theory of Indian Head Massage
- Recognise the Benefits of Indian Head Massage
- Recognise when not to Massage.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Introductory level - no previous knowledge required.
PLEASE SEE THE PRE-BODYWORK CHECK LIST BELOW:
The following list is to be used as a guide when deciding whether you wish to undertake a professional course in body work. We have strict guidelines as we aim to protect the health and safety of students in training and those they practise on during and after the course, whilst providing widest possible access. If you have suffered from any of the conditions listed, please check with a medical practitioner whether it is suitable for you to undertake a bodywork course and bring a referral letter from your GP with your enrolment form to the Health and Movement Studies Office during Advice and Guidance hours for validation stamp. If you have not checked, or if it is not suitable, please do not participate in a bodywork class/course.
- An untreated medical condition
- Spinal injuries
- A recent operation
- Severe skin disorders
- Severe mental illness
- On medication
- Cardiovascular disorders (high blood pressure, severe varicose veins, heart problems, thrombosis)
- Bone or joint disorders (Rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis)
- Pregnancy (or post natal)
- Endocrine disorders
- Knee Problems (for Shiatsu, Thai massage and introductory massage courses only)
- Is there anything else we should know about your health before you enrol for a course? If there is, please let the Health & Movement Studies team know.
If accepted onto a course, a student could be given alternative practical tasks and adjustments may be made where reasonable. However, a student could be asked to leave the course if any situation were to arise which could endanger the well being of that student, or any other student. It is, for instance, not suitable to work on another student if you are taking medication that affects your concentration or if you have uncontrolled fits which could cause a danger to others during a relevant activity.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This is a practical course involving lots of hands-on experience and practice.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
- Other introductory massage or complementary therapy courses including Shiatsu.
For those wishing to practise professionally:
1. ITEC Holistic Massage diploma
2. ITEC Indian Head Massage diploma.
Jan has been a practising therapist for over fifteen years, and a tutor for ten years. She practises nutrition, holistic massage, aromatherapy, reflexology, Indian head massage, Thai yoga massage, Japanese facial rejuvenation and pregnancy massage. She currently teaches massage, reflexology, manual lymphatic drainage, facials, stone therapy, nutrition, and anatomy and physiology courses at City Lit and other London colleges. Jan is passionate about health and wellbeing. In her spare time, she enjoys increasing her holistic knowledge, cooking, playing tennis, travelling and theatre.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.