What is the course about?
In this short practical workshop you will explore the popular animation technique of animating sand on a lightbox made famous by the animator Caroline Leaf. The technique produces surprising experimental results as sand on a light box allows you to create beautiful textured shapes of light and dark images. Using this technique you will learn to animate your sand drawings using stop motion to create surprising and evocative animated sequences.
What will we cover?
- An awareness of the work of Caroline Leaf using animated sand drawing.
- Planning an animated sequence using drawing with sand on a lightbox
- Setting up an HD camera and connecting it to a computer to capture stop motion footage
- Understanding frames and timing
- Directing and capturing a stopmotion drawn animated sequence
- Exporting the short sequence as a movie.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- An awareness of the use of sand animation in Animation practice
- plan an effective short animated sequence using sand drawings on a lightbox.
- Set up and connect an HD camera to a computer to capture stop motion footage
- Understand frames and timing
- Create and capture a stop motion animated sequence
- Export the sequence as a movie.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a beginners’ course.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught using a range of techniques including demonstrations, practical exercises, group and individual assistance and hand-outs. Please note the City Lit uses Apple Mac computers in Animation, Cartooning, Digital arts, Film, Graphics, Illustration, Photography and Web design.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Our high definition cameras and the latest professional equipment and software are available for your use throughout the course. It would be useful to bring a memory stick (or portable hard drive – please note PC formatted hard drives can be read by Apple mac computers, but not written to.).
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You can develop your animation skills further with VK106 Animation intensive. City Lit offer a range of courses in 2D and 3D Animation, Adobe Animate, Adobe After Effects, Character animation, editing, sound, illustration, cartooning, storyboarding and adobe Photoshop to enhance your animation practice.