What is the course about?
On this practical course you will learn how to design a character and create an engaging model using a range of model making materials and processes. You will learn how to animate your character to represent movements and express emotion and you will create an engaging short narrative animated sequence with sound. You will be introduced Dragonframe, the professional stop motion application and DSLR cameras to capture the animation and Premiere Pro to edit your sequence with sound.
What will we cover?
- Designing a character
- Designing elements for different facial expressions
- Creating a 3D model using a range of materials and processes.
- Planning and storyboarding your short narrative sequence
- Animating expression through framing, facial expression and body movement.
- Animating and recording your character using Dragonframe and a DSLR camera
- Editing your animation with sound using Premiere Pro CC
- Exporting your animation project as a movie using the appropriate format.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- plan and storyboard an effective short animated sequence
- design and create an engaging 3D model using a range of processes.
- design elements for different facial expressions
- animate expression through framing, facial expression and body movement.
- animate and record your character using Dragonframe and a DSLR camera
- Edit your animation using Premiere Pro CC
- Export your animation project as a movie using appropriate formats.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a beginners course. No experience required.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
You will be taught using a range of techniques including workshops, short lectures, demonstrations, practical exercises, tutorials, group and individual assistance and hand-outs. Please note the City Lit uses Apple Mac computers in Animation, Cartooning, Digital arts, Film, Graphics, Illustration, Photography and Web design.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Our DSLR cameras and the latest professional equipment and software are available for your use throughout the course. It would be useful to bring a memory stick (or portable hard drive – please note PC formatted hard drives can be read by Apple mac computers, but not written to.).
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You may wish to develop your digital animation skills with VK345 Animation with Adobe After Effects or VG304 Digital animation for beginners. City Lit offer a range of courses in 2D and 3D Animation, Adobe Animate, Adobe After Effects, Character animation, editing, sound, illustration, cartooning, storyboarding and adobe Photoshop to enhance your animation practice.