Time: 11:30 - 12:30
Location: Keeley Street
Choose a start date
- Course Code: FGD09
- Dates: 15/04/24 - 01/07/24
- Time: 11:30 - 12:30
- Taught: Mon, Daytime
- Duration: 10 sessions (over 12 weeks)
- Location: Keeley Street
- Tutor: Carolina Sanchez
Course Code: FGD09
Choose a start date
Duration: 10 sessions (over 12 weeks)
Please note: We offer a wide variety of financial support to make courses affordable. Just visit our online Help Center for more information on a range of topics including fees, online learning and FAQs.
What is the course about?
This course offers an introduction to yoga practice. Yoga increases body and breath awareness; it improves posture, stamina and flexibility, enhances our quality of breathing and teaches relaxation techniques which help reduce stress in our daily life. Attending a weekly yoga class will improve your general health and well being. Arrive feeling tired and achy; leave refreshed, relaxed and energised.
What will we cover?
- Standing, sitting and lying down postures, including forward and back bends
- Inverted (upside-down) postures (optional)
- Breathing exercises
- Relaxation and visualisation.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- Perform basic yoga postures and breathing exercises with guidance
- Increase your observation skills
- Follow the teachers instructions and demonstrations
- Improve your body awareness
- Practise relaxation with guidance
- Describe some benefits of yoga
- Obtain improved flexibility, strength, stamina and peace of mind
- Practise a simple breathing exercise.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This class is suitable for complete beginners, regardless of age, gender and fitness level. You will need to be able to follow verbal instructions, observe and copy physical movements and use spatial awareness within a group.
If you have suffered from any of the conditions listed below, please check with a medical practitioner whether it is suitable for you to undertake an exercise programme and bring a referral letter from your doctor to your tutor. If you have not checked, or if it is not suitable, please do not participate in an exercise or movement class.
- Do you ever have pains in your chest?
- Have you had any operations or injuries in the last year?
- Do you often feel faint or have spells of dizziness?
- Are you receiving medication for any condition?
- Do you have high blood pressure?
- Is there anything else we should know about your health?
- Do you have a bone or joint problem, such as arthritis, osteoporosis, back or knee problems?
It is inadvisable for students suffering from certain medical conditions to attend an ordinary yoga class. This does not mean that they should not do yoga, but they may need individual attention or a special programme of asanas (postures). These conditions include hypertension (high blood pressure); conditions associated with heart disease, cancer or benign tumours; epilepsy including petit mal; diabetes; Meniere's disease; detached retina; MS (Multiple Sclerosis); ME (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis); recent post-operative conditions; new students who are pregnant. Advice can be sought from the Department Office for those who have concerns about the suitability of the class for them.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
- Demonstration and practice
- Follow me
- Verbal instruction
- Physical adjustment (optional)
- Questions and answers
- Mini lecture.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Yoga equipment including mats will be provided. Please wear loose, comfortable clothing and bring something to keep you warm during relaxation. Postures are performed barefoot but you may wear non-slip socks if you prefer.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
- Progression to a mixed levels course at City Lit
- Students need two years of beginner/mixed levels classes before joining an Intermediate class. Students could, however, after four weeks, begin regular daily practice and progress more rapidly
- Students with a minimum of two years regular attendance may wish to progress to the CYQ Certificate in teaching yoga.
Carolina Sanchez M Yoga teacher-Massage therapist (Holistic Massage/Deep tissue) Carolina has BA in Dance, is a certified Yoga Teacher and Massage therapist. Has trained in somatic movement disciplines -among them Feldenkrais and Eutonia (both disciplines that teach how to observe movement and the comprehension of the human being). Also has trained in martial arts (Kalaripayattu/Indian martial art/ and Kung-Fu), Circus, physical theatre, acrobatics, and puppet and object theatre, among others. In 2001, Carolina was introduced to Ashtanga Yoga as part of her dance training. In 2009 she moved to Buenos Aires, Argentina, where she started to teach Yoga consistently, working with private clients and Gyms. Two years later moved to London. Since then she has been working with a diverse clientele from VIP clients in 5 stars hotels, charities, gyms, women's centres, to drug and alcohol services. The diverse experience has given her the insight to understand that every person has something particular and fascinating to work with. Carolina's Yoga classes focus on body mechanics, mobility, posture foundations and the intrinsic relation between hips and spine.
Please note: We reserve the right to change our tutors from those advertised. This happens rarely, but if it does, we are unable to refund fees due to this. Our tutors may have different teaching styles; however we guarantee a consistent quality of teaching in all our courses.