What is the course about?
Enhance your understanding of French language and culture and develop your English writing style by doing and discussing translations.
This is a live online face-to-face course. You will need:
- Internet connection. The classes work best with Chrome.
- A computer with microphone and camera is best (e.g. a PC/laptop/iMac/MacBook), or a tablet/iPad/smart phone/iPhone if you don't have a computer.
We will contact you with joining instructions before your course starts.
What will we cover?
This is primarily a practical translation course with a focus on literature, although there will be opportunities to work with other forms of writing, depending on student interest. You will translate a range of short passages and discuss your work in class. We will also look at short extracts from published English translations alongside their French originals.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
- acquired practical experience of translating from and into a range of different writing styles.
- enhanced your knowledge and understanding of the French language and French-speaking cultures.
- developed your own skills as a writer of English, particularly your ability to write in different “voices”.
- acquired a better understanding of the work of the professional literary translator.
There may be other outcomes, depending on the needs and interests of the group of students.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
Students should have a good knowledge of French language and culture and be comfortable with reading literature in French. They should also be able to write in fluent, idiomatic English (at least English level C1 if not a native Englih speaker)s. It is also essential that you have knowledge of more complex grammar terminology such as: the subjunctive, the conditional, pronouns, direct and indirect speech.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
This is a practical, participative course in which students will be required to prepare translations for discussion in class. Homework will be set every week, which students should be willing and able to do in order to benefit fully from the course.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
Based on tutor's material. The tutor will discussed material as appropriate.
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
To be discussed with your tutor for a continuation of this course. You could also do another course related to French, creative writing, journalism, etc.