What is the course about?
This course will help get you started on your journey to read and wite English confidently, express your opinions and use numbers and maths in your everyday life. The class is a supportive one and you will be encouraged to work at your own pace with encouragement from your teacher.
What will we cover?
We will discuss different topics which are chosen to help you improve your reading, writing and numeracy as well as help you express yourself. Some of the areas we will cover include:
• using a pen to write individual letters easily
• identifying letters and naming them
• reading and writing the whole alphabet
• recognising the different sounds of English
• hearing the different sounds within a word
• relating the sounds within words to letters
• using the sound-letter correspondence to help your spelling
• recognising rhymes
• following text from left to right and from top to bottom
• recognising signs and symbols
• how to use basic punctuation - capital letters, full stops and question marks
• counting up to 100
• reading prices and other important numbers
• describing and comparing the different sizes and measurements of objects
• describing and comparing the different quantities of things
• describing the shapes of things
• making basic calculations e.g. when shopping or paying bills.
What will I achieve?
By the end of this course you should be able to...
• feel confident in your English and maths to move to Entry 1
• usw a pen to write individual letters
• identify letters and name them
• read and write the whole alphabet
• recognise the different sounds of English
• hear the different sounds within a word
• relate the sounds within words to letters
• use the sound-letter correspondence to improve your spelling
• recognise rhymes
• follow text from left to right and from top to bottom
• recognise signs and symbols
• use basic punctuation - capital letters, full stops and question marks - to full sentences
• count up to 100
• read prices and other important numbers
• describe and compare the different sizes and measurements of objects
• describe and compare the different quantities of things
• describe the shapes of things
• make basic calculations e.g. when shopping or paying bills.
What level is the course and do I need any particular skills?
This is a course for fluent speakers of English who need help in reading and writing whole words and short sentences in a supportive and caring environment, and who also need some help in using numbers and maths in everyday life.
How will I be taught, and will there be any work outside the class?
Teaching will be in a supportive group setting, which involves pair and small group work. The interactive whiteboard, computers and handouts will help your learning. There will be regular homework .
This course will be delivered online, and will involve tutor presentation and class discussion. Student preparation and homework outside class times is strongly encouraged. To fully participate in this online class you will need:
- An email address
- A reliable internet connection
- A computer/laptop/tablet with a fully updated browser (preferably google chrome). Your device will need a microphone, and preferably a camera.
Are there any other costs? Is there anything I need to bring?
You will need a pen, some lined A4 paper and a file to keep your work in. Your tutor will provide handouts and worksheets. Other than that, just bring yourself!
When I've finished, what course can I do next?
You will progress through each term of this course, and then be ready for our English for Life (Entry 1-2) course. You can also do our Phonics course.